Thread: What An Idiot!
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #96
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
What is uncomfortable? Using Laser's story as a basic math problem, The Formula missed by 20'... The numbers are pretty clear. I mean sure there is +/- a few feet in there. I explained the distance/time problem pretty clearly.

If you are saying the Formula was closer than 150' then he had even LESS time than 3.1 seconds to react.... making the driver of the Formula pretty amazing that he avoided a collision.

snip

Woodsy
Woodsy
That's where you and I differ greatly, when you consider the time delay to decide there is a problem, the time decide how to correct, the time it takes to turn the wheel to initiate a direction change and the latency time between a control input and boat reaction, the Formula was way to close for the speed and conditions. Had he maintained a greater distance during his pass all of your other points would be moot as he never would have gotten so close. The Formula driver had complete power to drive safer and pass in a way that this could have never happened. If he didn't learn his lesson this time then we may be reading about him someday. Ditto for lasep as there are many boat drivers like the Formula guy and his chance of one of them getting him is much higher if he turns before he looks.