Thread: What An Idiot!
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #49
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
ITD...

I think the Formula was originally 150' or so passing Laser on the starboard side. I say that because had the Formula been much closer given the speeds Laser posted in the story - 23MPH and 30MPH there would have been a collision. The Formula obviously knew Laser was there as he was able to slow his boat and turn to port across Laser's wake even as Laser tightened his turn to starboard.

I don't see where the Formula did anything wrong here. Laser didn't see the Formula... therein lies the mistake. If Laser was being vigilant, as you claim to be... this incident would not have happened.

Woodsy

Woodsy, without rehashing the ROW issues and who is responsible for what, nobody is 100 percent vigilant try as we might we are human and piloting a boat put you in an environment that makes vigilance even harder. Without going into the physics, 150 feet at 25mph is covered in a very short amount of time, why not double or triple that amount of time by increasing the passing distance between the boats and give yourself and the other boat more time to react to the unexpected?

Well, one little rehash, the Formula ended up much closer to the Laser than 150 feet, we are not going to agree as to whose fault that was, but it's a large lake, if the Formula had doubled his distance away from the Laser the close call probably would not have happened.

Finally, to APS's point, I sail often on the lake, and I am always amazed at the number of power boats who deviate their course to pass closely by. Half of those boats seem to have no clue that the sail boat is moving and some of those have to make some type of corrective adjustment to avoid an ultimate collision, all while there is another two miles of lake with no boats on it and more direct for their ultimate route.