Thread: What An Idiot!
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 07:02 AM   #32
Woodsy

Prices & ITD...

I am with you guys in that I give as much room as possible before I go around another boat. I keep my head on a swivel in all directions. Its the prudent thing to do.

Prices,

Whether the incident happened at night of during the day it doesn't matter. I am operating under the assumption that neither boat was speeding. Laser said he was doing 23 & the Formula was at 30. a difference at the beginning of 7 MPH. The Formula has the right to pass Laser night or day and he has reasonable expectation that Laser would obey the rules of the water as the STAND ON vessel and maintain course and speed. I don't think Laser slowing down is the issue here. The Formula saw Laser and knew he was there and had already adjusted his course to go around him. Lasers abrupt turn into the path of the passing boat is the issue. And by Laser's own admission he didn't see the Formula..... Had Laser seen the Formula passing him on the right I seriously doubt Laser STILL would have changed course abruptly to the right! This is all on Laser for FAILURE TO KEEP A PROPER LOOKOUT!

The Formula OBVIOUSLY left enough room to maneuver because there was no accident. He was able to slow down and cross Laser's wake to the left despite Laser turning right into his path even sharper. My point was and still is the Laser was in the wrong by not seeing the Formula and acting accordingly. If Laser is somehow absolved of acting accordingly as the STAND ON vessel (MAINTAIN COURSE AND SPEED) then ALL passing accidents are caused by the GIVE WAY vessel and why assign any rules at all to the STAND ON vessel?

BOTH VESSELS MUST MANUEVER PROPERLY TO AVOID A COLLISION! NOT JUST THE GIVE WAY!

Woodsy