View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I'd like to know why anyone thinks this is a good idea, so far in reading various articles and even the ads in the Union Leader, none seem to convince me it's a benefit to the state. The only thing I see is a bait and switch coming where like the cable companies they hit you with rock bottom teaser rates, sugar coat everything and paint a lovely picture only to get you signed up then 6 months or a year later hammer you with high rates.

Anyone who doesn't think that's going to happen is a fool. Furthermore once this thing is in place and once everyone figures out it's a raw deal, there is no undoing what has already been done. If we need more power then WE need to produce it ourselves. It boggles the mind how willingly people are at letting somebody else do all the work, then they are the first to cry when it doesn't turn out as expected. There is no excuse or reason why we cannot produce anything we want to in the good old USA, just get the Government and all the regulations our of the way.

Dan it's curious you bring up the eminent domain angle, while I agree with your premise, since the power grid services the public I can see where that may be a legit argument for it to be exercised. The only reason why I say that is because the gov't doesn't own or control any of the power companies they are all operating as private for profit entities although highly regulated by the state and feds right? If they have the need to expand the grid infrastructure there has to be a way to allow that to occur over or through private land. I say this not in support of this project, just a general statement of theory. It'd be no different for running gas lines or any other type of "public" utility - I would think anyways. Clearly the objective in any of this should however be to reduce as much as conceivably possible the need to exercise this since I for one understand it's need, but cringe every time it's suggested.
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links