View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #13
sunset on the dock

And as far as some having no indication of compromising their endearment of noise,this is why I am a bit leery of embracing some of the other speed compromises. I've commented a couple of times on the compromise forum that their poll results seem to be dramatically at odds with what I see on my shore (100% pro speed limit) and the with the OTHER nefarious poll. In any case, responders to the compromise poll total a mere approx. 1/3 of 1% of the 4234 forum members (approx. 160). And of course on the boating forum, there is a high preponderance of young, male, computer literate powerboating fans. What about swimmers, kayakers, sailors...the response is that "anyone is free to vote on this poll", ignoring the obvious fact that not everyone is on this forum. And where are the 4000 plus other forum members?
And when someone comments on how "it seems that the poll shows 80% of people are against the speed limit", everyone hits the thanks button, which brings me to the following point: I'm not sure what I find more perplexing...that people feel a poll like theirs represents a valid sample, or that they know it doesn't and are just playing along so as to be able to say they have a poll purporting to show their results, or that they think our representatives in Concord are stupid enough not to see right through such a statistically biased poll (believe me, they're not)? I mention all of this because, if, as they say, permenant passage of the SL is such a slam-dunk, the reaction from those who take the poll seriously will be more of the same angry rhetoric like "the fear mongers won with their campaign of lies", when in reality most people do in fact like the SL.