Thread: Safety Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 08:12 AM   #4
Just Sold

VTSteve - Thanks for starting this thread.

I agree the 150' rule seems to be the predominant issue out on the water. I have observed that when someone ignores the 150' rule they are also speeding because the are supposed to be at headway speed per 150' rule. That speed may be frightning to people just as much as the closeness of the boat violating the 150' rule.

The 150' rule needs to be reinforced to all boaters. Maybe posting it at public docks, launch areas and other public locations where boaters go will get more people to know about it and maybe obey it. How about some PSA's on the radio and TV. The 150' bouys by public docks was a good idea but more needs to be done to educate the boating public. Maybe increasing the fine .... that will get everyone's attention.

As for the SL I feel the issue is related to the nightime boating. There have been 2 deaths that have occurred at night in 2 separate types of accidents with criminal charges. But from the public, not rumor here, information sources it does not seem that speed was a significant factor. One of the accidents (Littlefield) had the boats speed above the current nightime 25 MPH. Since only one incident has been through the court system and the other will be heard this Fall I feel there should not be comparisons between them until all the facts are known and the trial this fall has ended. I feel that a speed limit at night may be the way to go but what is reasonable and safe?

Overall I do not see speeding during the daytime as an issue but where daytime speeding occurs might be.

Should there be areas of the lake that have speed limits and areas like the Broads that have none or a higher limit than anywhere else? That could be one answer. A study of areas on the lake by the MP using data from tickets and warnings issued might show where the problem areas lie. We as boaters have many observations that if the MP looked here and weeded through the obvious extreme opinions in both directions they might be able to have more knowledge of what areas to increase their enforcement in as well as recommend better safety controls like speed limits or not and no wake zones etc.

Taking the current reduced boating due to the economy out of the picture the number of boaters overall is increasing with time. That in itself will necessitate increased enforcement for the safety of all. There may be a need for new laws and rules but we must be involved from all sides to find a reasonable and common ground so that new laws/rules are made that work and are not lopsided to one side or the other. Laws should not be changed or implimented just to restrict boaters for someones agenda but for the safety of everyone who use any body of water in NH not just Winni.

Just my opinion and observations.

Last edited by Just Sold; 08-05-2009 at 08:17 AM. Reason: grammar