View Single Post
Old 07-05-2022, 08:01 AM   #77
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Interesting points, John. A universal platform would be wonderful. A challenge for the industries is that both the purchase price and cost to recharge battery-operated tools and cars need to be affordable for many millions of people. Otherwise there won't be a significant impact on the environment. New Hampshire, for example, has a real problem with its high electric rate.
Agreed on costs, but I'd also add reliability/longevity of the batteries themselves. Many battery-operated devices don't get used enough to cycle batteries, so they end up deteriorating. Li-Ion are much better in this regard, but they still need to be used enough to keep them fresh.

The other issue is power needs. An impact driver needs much less power than a snowblower, and weight matters, so a large/heavy battery wouldn't work.

At this point, I've got two tool sets: 18/36V Metabo for my power tools at home and camp and 60V Greenworks for my weed whacker at home. If I came across a good deal for a Greenworks kit with whacker and blower, I might buy it for camp and start that process, but they're so darn expensive...and that Echo keeps blowin'!

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote