View Single Post
Old 07-03-2022, 10:13 AM   #59
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
You made a couple mistakes... if you already have the platform (batteries and charge), you need to compare the cost of a bare tool to the ICE.
Then you compare a battery tool warranty to a history of an ICE tool... but the warranty on the ICE tool was also short. This is failing logic that suggest the battery tool will not also last 10-15 years.

The math between these things is not as clear as many propose them to be.

The question really becomes do we need the new platforms, or would banks of the old platform be better.

Currently, someone that buys an electric mower using only their 18v/20v systems... will usually get the mower, two/four batteries, and the charger for the price. They will not need to buy batteries or another charger for the other items... just the bare tools.

But the real secret is to adjust the landscape. You'll use the tools a lot less after that.
Bare tool comparison is fine as long as you've got a few batteries already—one or two isn't enough to do any real work—which means buying three whole kits or so. At that point, if we're looking at 40/60V vs. 18/20V, it's all I'd be buying anyway.

And, even if I compared, say, my blower and weed whackers only, I'm still way ahead at 15 and 10 years each vs. what the initial batteries would have last.

If someone could make a kit that *reasonably* worked on all tools—power and lawn—then I'm in a totally different mindset. But there's no way I'm trusting my level of snowblowing and lawn cutting to battery...yet.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote