View Single Post
Old 08-07-2020, 08:57 AM   #91
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
Why should islands be last? Island properties pay the same “member fee” and the same rates as mainland properties. If island properties are last on the list, then rates for these properties should be reduced. I can understand if it’s mid-winter, or if ice conditions are unsafe. But we’re talking the first week of August with 2 days of nice weather after this storm. NHEC has their own boat, so why can’t they send a crew out to fix this problem? Islanders have refrigerators and freezers full of food and ice, just like mainlanders, and also need electricity to operate water pumps and septic systems. I don’t have time to elaborate on their corruption right now.
Why do you think islands should be more important?

My father spent a lot of time working with power companies over his career. They have plans for how to deal with storm response. Plans which by the way are supposed to be available to the public. This plans describe the priority of response to various areas if the grid. Islands are likely at the bottom of that list for good reason:

1. Are there emergency or medical services housed on the islands? (i.e. hospitals, Dr. Offices, Police Stations, fire departments)
2. Are The residents with serious medical conditions, needing electricity to treat on the islands?
3. What is the down time for a crew traveling to and from the island?
4. How much information do they have regarding specifically what the issue is on the island?

#4 here is a big one, does someone on little bear know where the fuse is blown or line down? if so have the called that information in, or even better sent pictures to NHEC?

NHEC is very well run and manged, they do a tremendous job.... If you want to talk about power company corruption why don't you look into a company called Unitil...........

Having friends on various islands I can tell you islands are always last on the list. The ones that seem to get the fastest service, are the places where the residents get involved and get information to the power company....