View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 06:56 AM   #52
mbhoward

When Nat Goodhue pulled the Swallow in and out at Wolfeboro, he used a rail system that allowed him to pull her out and up into a shed for the winter. I think that rail system is gone now but I'm wondering if any of the older yards still have a rail system in place? That could handle any size boat. Before all these high capacity lifts came into use (late 70's, early 80's?) rail was the only viable option for pulling large boats out for the winter and the lake used to have quite a few big ones.

I think a more serious problem will be the draft and getting in and out of various bays around the lake, especially in the fall as the lake level drops. The channel at Weirs has already been pointed out but there are plenty of other areas to worry about. I think to keep the draft issue manageable and to insure easier navigation, you should drop the Hatteras idea and stick with a houseboat. There's no need for an open ocean, deep V type of displacement hull on an inland waterway. Our weather doesn't get that rough.

My 2c
mbhoward is offline   Reply With Quote