Thread: Car Inspection
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 05:16 PM   #36
derrydad

Default Oil Leak on exhaust- different answer from NH DMV

I just wrote the following to my Senator:
I am writing to you as a citizen of Derry, NH. I was told to contact my legislature if I was unsatisfied the answer I received from the Division of Motor Vehicles and Inspections in Concord at 603-227-4120.

I have a vehicle that was rejected for state inspection for "leaking fumes". The vehicle has no measured odor. It has no visible leaking fumes. It leaks or burns less than 0.8 quarts of oil every 15,000 miles. It does have oil stains on the exhaust.

I asked the experts in Concord what the scientific standard was for rejection for "leaking fumes" due to an oil leak on the exhaust.
I was told the standard was vague and I was welcome to go to another inspection station and that other station could pass it. I was also told that any sized oil stain was allowed by the state as reason for rejection for leaking fumes- even if no odors or visible fumes are evident but others stations are allowed to use odor or visible fumes standards if they choose.

I think this interpretation of only oil stains of any size are necessary to classify as leaking fumes is not likely the intent of the legislation. I would appreciate if you could clarify the intent of the legislation.

In my case, I was told to correct this very minor leak would cost approximately one thousand dollars.

Thank you for your time.
derrydad is offline   Reply With Quote