View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
birchhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Here's a program that has been in existence for years. A lot cheaper than the Winni proposition.. the last time I looked. Sail Newport is for SAIL. We always have wind.

http://www.sailnewport.org/

Winni does NOT always have wind, so SAIL alone would not work IMHO. $3600 seems to me to be ...well I wouldn't give it any consideration. Here's why: The weather. You need to predict the weather for a given day. Sunny, Breezy..etc. Everyone else is doing the same. You call for reservations at 7:00am. Answering machine. You call again at 8:00am. Sorry sorry sorry: We're totally BOOKED for the day.

SO: Do you get back any of the $3600 you coughed up if you never get to use the boat when it's convenient to YOU.?. When you own your own boat, you get to go boating when YOU want to. Maybe that justifies the effort of ownership. Just sayin. NB
From what I read, it is a web-based reservation system, so it is up to the member to schedule their slots. $3600 actually seems cheap IMHO. They seem to be exactly the same as the Freedom Boat Club in Portsmouth, I wonder why they did not go the freedom route? I have to say I wish them the best of luck, at least they are trying to create knew opportunities and jobs, in this environment. Ice is still on the lake it seems like a smart move limiting boat purchases till the spring, conserving capital.
birchhaven is offline   Reply With Quote