Thread: Oil Changes
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #16
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
A $29 oil change is no bargain at a Toyota dealer. They will check your brakes, tires, air filters..(engine airtake & cabin), and whatever else they can Convince You ..you need. It's a Barracuda coming after you. If you are mechanically challenged they will sense it and go for your jugular.

I worked for a Toyota dealer (Newport (RI) Toyota) for awhile and bought cars from them for 14 years (3 NEW cars). Two years ago this month the warranty was over for my wifes 2005 Camry. The state inspection was due. I walked out of there for the last time..$500+. lighter in the wallet. Un-needed.

I am NOT mechanically challenged. THEY LIED to me..as to what I needed. I pointed this out. They were tone deaf. I had to pay up or FAIL State inspection. If I had walked away... I would HAVE to come BACK to THEM after I resolved the alleged problem... some where else.

I was a TOTAL BOOSTER for that dealership for 14 years and...... they decided it was my turn in the barrel.

I'm over it. (well maybe not) I haven't been back there since. I'm back to doing my own oil changes..at 69 years old. BITTER...You Bet. NB

BTW: Right after that incident, I went to another local Toyota Dealer when I needed an oil change in my 2007 Toyota truck. The "MO" is the same.
You might not believe it, but the DMV State Inspection people are friendly, understanding, and will go to bat for you against a dishonest inspection station. I had an incident a few years ago with an establishment that failed my car for a non-inspectable item. I asked him to show me the regulation on it, and he couldn't, but said his brother (One of the other Daryles?) had told him it was there somewhere. So I called DMV, who called him and threatened to pull his inspection license. 2 hour later I had my sticker. 2 months later he was out of business.

The first thing you should do, after getting the name of the person who did the inspection and their supervisor, is request a written list of the failed items, then go to another station and have them do the inspection again. If the previously failed items are not cited, call DMV and report the place. Then go back and make them give you a refund!

On the subject of oil changes, a friend has a Ferrari, and they wanted $350 for an oil change! He's doing them himself also. And most of the transfer stations have provisions for taking used engine oil without any charge.
Mr. Prop-B-Gone is offline   Reply With Quote