View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #17
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default Time OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
Somebody should have already disagreed with you, but supporters and proponents are the same people... ...but going-along with what you had intended :

What value is a Safety-Check, when the "inspectors" include so few who are expert in sailing craft and paddle-craft? What would they say about a 35-pound kayak?

If you have those self-proclaimed experts, at which station would they be found?

I'll also make a bet that no inspectors include themselves among subscribers to the many periodicals available in sailing craft and paddle-craft:

1) construction,

2) design,

3) proper use,

4) equipment,

5) component stress,

6) and safety.
Why are you so negative? The USPS and LRSPS are great organizations full of volunteers who spend countless hours trying to make boating safer. Because you don't like some member(s) you take potshots? That is like saying that, because someone is a Democrat, you can't like them.

I bet you are wrong- what is the wager?

The LRSPS instructors and Vessel Examiners are well versed in sailboat and paddle craft safety requirements (SUBS in USPS language for sport utility boats). Hours of the VE class are spent teaching potential examiners what is required and, in this case, what is not required of a SUB.

http://www.usps.org/national/vsc/conductvsc.html
A sailboat's lighting and safety requirements are rarely different than a powerboats, except for position of lighting. Paddle craft are generally only looked at from a safety equipment perspective.

Each member of the Power Squadron receives a monthly magazine which keeps us well informed, but most of us also study other resources, such as Chapmans.

Let go of your anger, your act is getting tired here and abroad.

Again, about that wager...

By the way, I asked you on another forum to join and assist the LRSPS with their mission. You pooh-poohed me and declined. Volunteer organizations are nothing without their volunteers. So, I ask again, will you join us and pass on your wisdom and knowledge?

Last edited by VitaBene; 05-31-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: added the by the way
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post: