View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 08:43 PM   #24
XCR-700

Unhappy Sorry, just not feelin it,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I am disappointed as well. I'm not going to go on and on here. I LIKE this Forum.... Verbose posts are a waste of MY time and Yours. 90% of my posts were on the Boating Forum. I believe I have the experience (Offshore +) that most people on this board don't have and I am willing to share that experience with everybody..... From Seamanship to Boat Maintenance. I even make an attempt at humor at times.

Based on the posts in this thread.. I am in the distinct minority. What can I say..?

Moderation makes my knowledge impossible to convey when posts may take Several HOURS to show up. Moderation also makes a dialog between other people who also have knowledge... impossable.

Why not just Moderate the Polititions..instead of Everybody...? I know the moderator knows who they are. Just wondering. NB

In addition to the philosophical/ideological issues I have voiced about this matter, I also feel that the mechanics of this change will result in a far less useful, interesting, and user friendly Forum and subsequently less traffic overall. As an example of that I have posted NB's quote to illustrate but one example of the potential impact we may see from the moderation change to the Boating Forum.

This site in particular was one that seemed to have bursts of posting that resulted in a significant volume of traffic, some times at odd hours. I suppose if a reduction in forum traffic is considered by some to be a positive byproduct then this would be a positive, I would see that as a significant loss to all,,, Matter of fact it already looks to me like the traffic to that forum has dropped off quite a bit, but then I suppose you cannot derive any meaningful trend info from a one day sample.

Only time will tell but that is my observation on other sites that have added full gate-keeper style moderation. Eventually frustrated users migrate away from the moderated sites and find new ones that are more conducive to open and timely exchanges.

To be honest, all this talk about what the site admin has put up with leaves me completely baffled, not sure why a site admin would ever take any banter between two posters personally, you review the posts, if they are so inappropriate and offensive that they warrant removal you do so, if not ignore the whiners and don’t give the matter a second thought. If people think that the level of support before was way too high just what do you think will happen now? You just went from some minute fraction of your overall traffic being a problem and warranting review and disposition to ALL your traffic needing review and disposition! So the decreased site administration just doesn’t make any sense to me what so ever. It sounds more like an appeasement to keep certain high maintenance members happy, while the rest suffer the consequences of delays of posts and a policing of every word posted. Yup that’s progress and a step in the right direction,,, NOT!

I’m trying to take a breath and see the positive in this for the average user like myself who has no axe to grind with anyone here and no history with anyone here, and its just not clicking yet,,,

Maybe one of these posts will do a better job of explaining how the site admins role will be greatly eased by this change, how it will be better for all the users, and how this will increase traffic so that we all benefit from this change,,, maybe,,,

Sorry, I'm just not feelin the mojo here, its like someone pulled the plug wire off the Boating forum and the spark is gone,,, Guess we will see,,,,

Last edited by XCR-700; 08-06-2010 at 09:41 PM.