Thread: My Demeanor
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #8
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
Regardless of the negative connotations that people may attach to the term "political correctness" words DO hurt....sometimes more than sticks and stones.

I accept that you are a well meaning person. Nonetheless, even using the offensive phrase about Anne Frank and then saying this doesn't really mean you hate Jewish people is offensive. Why use the phrase at all?

The same thing goes for the Jose from LA and Amishville. Why say it at all?

Your friends who know and love you may say....oh you know him, he's "that guy."

But people on the internet do not know the wonderful person that you may well be. Please reflect on this and don't blame it on PC. Unless you really are "That Guy."
This whole "political correctness" thing really bugs me. I listened to a sports talk show the other day that talked about this for an hour. A SPORTS talk show.

It seems that there is a group of people who spend their time looking for things to be offended by. Every day it seems that we find new things we can't say. The way we are going, pretty soon there won't be a spectrum, just everyone a bland white (can I say that without offending someone?)

Unfortunately, I have no control over how anyone "hears what I am saying. 45 years ago I was interviewed by a sports writer who wrote a piece based on the interview. When I read it I was aghast. It was not at all what I thought I had said. My father told me not to worry, it wouldn't be the first time that people twisted my words to suit their needs/mores/upbringing.

When I use one of George Carlin's 7 deadly words in a burst of angry frustration at my performance of a task, I use it as a venting. This may not be right but, is it right that a person with a strict WASP/Catholic/Jewish/ etc. takes my words and bends them to their more repressed background?

Now, I try and engage my mind and take a look at the surroundings before I say something that may offend anyone. (I sometimes wonder if it is right that I have to try and be just like everyone else.) But I always think that everybody ought to try and be a little more tolerant, take care of their own issues, "skate their lane", and just lighten up!

Just the thoughts of an old guy who has seen a transition that may not be as great as some might think. Life is way to short to have to worry about all of these things.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post: