View Single Post
Old 05-05-2021, 07:54 AM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Rebates

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterh View Post
I recently renovated an old home. Looked into all the various options. Going in I was very much against the splits as I just didn't like the way they look on the wall. I found a few spots that would work where they did not look bad and I could not be happier. The price saved me a lot over other options. They are super efficient and I don't even notice them being there. Highly recommend. I never knew about the rebate though. Maybe I should look into that.
Varies from year to year. A decade ago they were lucrative, about $1500 from NHSaves and $1500 from energy.gov. There was a spending cap so you need to apply early in the govt. fiscal year.
When talking to a number of owners who had install, many were not aware of the rebates and it was too late to apply. Some were taken advantage by the installers, they would apply and pocket the money!

It pays to do your homework when doing any install or upgrade involving energy appliances such as HVAC. Switching to split systems or NG gives you the best savings. I've seen builders/developers who would rather stick in a cheap oil furnace rather than hook up to NG when it's available or a split system. In today's market buyers have no say in the matter if they need a home.