View Single Post
Old 08-21-2019, 09:28 AM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I wonder two things: how much of an impact this has/has had and how many other fish are hurt in the process.

It's been discussed here before, but if they've been doing it over a decade, there surely are results info?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Think;

I doubt there would be any impact whatsoever to other fish by the targeting of rock bass. Rock bass are found in shallow water near docks and other shoreline structure. Trout (lakers, rainbows) and salmon are in deeper water feeding at thermocline depths. They simply do not share the same water or feeding habitat.

Rock bass are also very aggressive and have taken over a lot of the small mouth and large mouth waters on the lake. Basically when they move in other fish move out! Over the past few years I have been catching small mouths while trolling for salmon over deep water and in areas where they just shouldn't be. Rock Bass are invasive and need to be dealt with accordingly.

I would love to see the spring derby include a rock bass category as many kids could get involved since catching them requires nothing special but a hook and worm from shore or any dock. I believe this would also increase participation in the derby.

I agree with DT5150 that its time to give the salmon a break for a couple years and let them regain the numbers they once had in the lake.

Dan