View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 09:17 PM   #93
MDcaptive

Hey all, i came across this forum because i'm considering moving to the area... and frankly this thread and the results from the research it has prompted me to do scares me a bit. I grew up across the street from a large lake in Maine (though pretty small in comparison to Winnipesaukee) and didn't have any of the hassle that seems to go along with new Hampshire boating- cops on water, headway only < 150 ft, 45 mph, 3 hour class + proctored exam to operate a boat over 25 hp?? I thought I was reading wrong when i saw the latter.

This is scary to me for 2 reasons, one that I agree that having cops on water, especially with a reputation for hassling people who are not actually being unsafe would drastically detract from the enjoyment of an afternoon on the lake. In all my years on the water in Maine I was only on a boat once that was stopped, and that was simply a game warden checking for fishing license and the catch on board. I am quite sure there is no marine patrol or equivalent on fresh water.

second, presumably there is a reason why all this is implemented- do you folks have big problems with truly reckless boaters? The most "trouble" that I ever had was an incident or two of jetskiiers using our wake as a playground, and even so they were not at all too close to be dangerous, just a little annoying.

A question I have for you all is are the experiences shared here unique to Winnipesaukee because of its size and people it attracts, or is Marine patrol on all of the area lakes? I don't mean to come off as some fool who wants to tear around the lake- quite the opposite, as i probably would not even have a boat capable of 45 mph and haven't had a moving violation on pavement in my life- but that doesn't mean I like being over-restricted + nervous about what happens if a bulb burns out or I get a little "too close" to an island. One of the main draws of NH for me is it is supposed to be one of the most "free" states in the east.

Also, any links about the area or other words of wisdom for a single 27 year old prospective new resident would also be appreciated. As someone who would be working from home moving to a place with no nearby existing friends, I'm hoping to find an area with ample opportunity to get involved in the community -Scouting, youth sports, church groups, gun club, etc. to keep from turning into a hermit. Feel free to PM me on subjects not appropriate for this thread. Thanks!