View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 06:23 AM   #189
ApS

Cool Supporter of DES Science, here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Island South View Post
"...I believe you can't even cleanup the debris (classified as natural ground cover) that has fallen over the winter month's within the 50' buffer zone..."
As the owner of a one-acre lakeside property, I can vouch for the effectiveness of natural ground cover against the runoff damage that impervious surfaces bring to the water's edge.

Except for removal of "trip-over" branches, winter debris interlocks within itself, creating a perfect environment for an understory of plants to grow. (Until last year's McMansion went in, I had been unable to see any of my neighbors).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shore thing
"...You can't blame the Weirs blow out on 2 roofs and a roadway...you can't overlook the extreme severity of the rain event..."
I'm aware of both issues; however, recent weather patterns (including a tornado ) support more vigilance around this huge lake's shoreline—not the status quo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Island South View Post
"...The law has definitely gone too far..."
I expect many residents arrive at the lake to see a tidy lakeside yard—unaware that their maintenance crews have been blowing leaf litter into the lake every week.

Mechanical removal of natural debris by rake (and appropriate disposition) should be acceptable to DES.

Why didn't Concord simply outlaw the lakeside use of leafblowers?