View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 05:11 AM   #118
ApS

Default "Terrorforming" the Lakes Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
You make it sound so nice and easy, shore things. Too bad is isn't REALLY like that to deal with you people.
In defense of shore things, I've had mostly pleasant results in e-mails and speaking with her in what must be a thankless, bureaucratic job.

When shifted to a DES subordinate, however, things got dismissive.

In the mid-80s, the state blocked many of us from selling abutting lots, so I should be upset; however, like Gatto Nero, I understand the need to protect the lake from excessive development. Where NH lakes are "backwards", and fringed with cathedral pines, the water quality is the highest in the state.

My last contact with shore things regarded a giant mudslide into the lake, bypassing "state-of-the-art" erosion barriers. (An orange polyester mesh "log" filled with wood chips). The mudslide into the lake continued for several weeks, when shore things advised me she would shortly drive out personally to inspect the scene. (I had departed the Lakes Region that week.)

I was temporarily confounded when she advised that she did not see the violations.

The next day, a neighbor told me that the night prior to the inspection, the mudslide had been covered with a foot of snow! (Still giving shore things a gold star for effort, though.)

Just another of the vexations dealing with trying to save the lake from algae, save the shoreline from excessive structure resulting in impervious soil runoff—but fully confounded by quirky NH weather—covering this moonscape:
Attached Images