View Single Post
Old 09-28-2020, 01:04 PM   #28
Mink Islander

Default Yes, but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Easy to say, not always easy to see.

Responsibility does nothing to mend a broken body when you were run over because the wind and water and sun/cloud conditions were just right, and the kayak and kayaker were all in muted colors, and the boat operator did honestly just not see you.

Paper rules do not prevent accidents, thats why we call them accidents.

Intentional recklessness should not be tolerated, but legitimate accidents will happen. And no law assigning responsibility will stop it.

Bright colors may help you to not get run over in some situations. And please do not perceive that as victim blaming, it is just a fact the bright colors are more visible and will improve you chances of avoiding a problem.
Not sure what a “legitimate accident” is. I’d call this a “avoidable accident”.

I’m not disagreeing that darker colored kayaks are harder to see. But I’ve not read anywhere what color the kayak was, what color his paddles were and what color his life vest was. Regardless, if you run over an 11 foot floating object in the lake at 5 in the PM on a clear, calm day, you, the operator weren’t paying attention. That’s the preventable part. And that’s why this is such a rare event on the lake. MOST captains pay attention — and don’t run away when they are in an accident, oh by the way.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mink Islander For This Useful Post: