View Single Post
Old 09-21-2020, 11:43 AM   #14
burgerunh

Great Story! I'm dying laughing right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
My ice fishing experiences are possibly more about what not to do.

Cutting the hole...

I had no auger but I did have a 20" chainsaw. After some trial and error I decided that a triangular hole was best. Once the hole was framed a broom handle was used to push the block down and away.

Once this method was established I invited a friend. He enjoyed making fun of my low cost hole making equipment. Wishing to return the harassment I asked him to "stand over there for safety" as I fired up the chainsaw. My aim was true and the rooster tail of icy slush covered him head to toe. Shortly after that he started shivering and wanted to go home. What a wuss!

Transporting the gear...

Like all hobbies, ice fishing requires "stuff". I wanted to haul mine on a sled rather than carrying it off shore. When cut to size, my father's old wooden water skis fit perfectly under a beat up wooden crate I found in the barn so I nailed it all together. A throwable pfd served as my butt cushion. I was very proud of what I had built!

I took this contraption on its maiden voyage to Bolton Lake in central CT. My chainsaw, fishing gear, radio and lunch were safe in the crate and the pulling was easy. Upon arrival at the "good spot" I unloaded my gear. Then I noticed a dark object moving toward me from shore. As it got closer I could see that it was an animal. The animal then appeared to be a dog. The dog was in full gallup. It was a German Shepard.

Was it curious? Was it aggressive? Did I need to defend myself somehow?

No, he just had to pee and did so on my ice fishing sled.

I guess he was claiming it as his own. I don't blame him. It was a pretty nice ice fishing sled.
burgerunh is offline   Reply With Quote