View Single Post
Old 11-21-2018, 11:11 AM   #11
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Its interesting because I use a portable gen rated at 5500. I dont switch off any breakers at all. I just dont use big load ones like the oven. My hot water is a tankless which comes from the boiler water so that makes a big difference. My well pump is a shallow well 2 hp I think but everything runs fine. I might see a slight voltage drop for a second when that kicks on but no issues at all. Just ran it 2 weeks ago for 6 hours. I have a setup similar to Slick and made it myself so the main breaker has to be off to energize the panel from a double pole breaker which feeds an twistlock receptacle. Works real easy and a lot cheaper than having an auto switch to a separate panel installed. Probably a few thousand dollars.
The electrician that installed the interlock recommended switching off circuits with electric motors prior to engaging the generator and then switching them back on one at a time. This eliminates all motors starting at once. In our case that includes the deep well pump, furnace and two heat pumps.

I did install the original single circuit Reliance transfer box myself, a very simple deal.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post: