View Single Post
Old 10-17-2021, 04:40 PM   #61
John Mercier

The property investment being discussed as the OP suggested.
He is looking to an investment property to turn in 6-12 months at a profit.

As for Part 1 Article 28-a... if it isn't a municipal program, our Constitution requires the State to pick up the cost for the program.
That is the NH Constitution. CU is not a municipal statute, so a Court finding would be the State has to cover the cost of the program should they decide to keep it.

The Court does not ''grandfather''. Taxation is annual, so the Court could ''stay the order'' to give the Legislature some time to act, but that would be limited once the legislation is considered unconstitutional.

I understand the 10%. I have used both CU I and CU II before.
Currently the legislation requires when a property is removed from CU, that a 10% of valuation to be paid. If the current legislation is found to be unconstitutional, and the program is scrapped. It may/may not be constitutional to charge the 10% penalty... since it is part of that current legislation. So the municipality could charge the 10%, but a landowner may file lawsuit to recover the 10%... as they did not choose to leave the program.

This isn't new to those of us born and raised here growing up in the farming and forestry community.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote