View Single Post
Old 05-31-2018, 10:02 AM   #3
jeffk

I have had a metal roof for a couple years and love it. I was concerned about rain noise and as stated, it is not a problem. I went with a different style than the typical metal roof. It is a heavier gauge metal and has an epoxy bonded stone dust surface. It does not dump snow so snow dams are not needed. It looks like regular architectural shingles. People who see it do not believe it is metal. It has a life expectancy of 50+ years and will probably still look good toward the end of that time. Hail and fire resistant also. Metal roofs are MUCH lighter than asphalt so some of the roof carrying capacity is freed up for dealing with snow weight. It is screwed down and is more wind resistant. Depending on your insurance, you may qualify for a premium discount if you have a metal roof. If you sell the house it returns some of it's cost.

Metal roofs are more expensive than asphalt and the one I got IS more expensive than typical metal shingles but I am delighted with the appearance and overall outcome. To me, it was worth the price.

One thing critical to the outcome, get an installer that has a lot of experience with metal roofs and an excellent reputation. If it is improperly installed, problems can pop up, like leaks. You don't want a generic home handyman installing a metal roof.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote