View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #57
jrc

I broke down Sunday and took a ride down to the Weirs, first time in a few years. I'm currently bike-less but I only paid $10 to park a SUV at noon behind Donna-Jeans. I paid more 20 years ago.

The first vendor I met was selling fried fish for half his posted price. It was his first year, he doesn't know if he's coming back.

IMHO bike week is in a tranistion, and I'm not sure what way it will go. The glory days of bike weekend was always a little bit about the danger. Drinking, girls, burn-outs, wheelies, it was unsavory. We came to watch the crazies, always wondering what would happen. We wanted to be close to the dangerous Hollywood biker lifestyle but not actually get killed. People in the lakes region don't really want that anymore.

So now it can morph into at good reason to take a bike ride around the state, stop at nice restaurants and have fun with friends.

Or it can change into Key West or the French Quarter for a week.

What we have now seems unstable. There are some weird juxtopositons.

The blue haired girl selling lemonade really bothered one father with small boys, he carefully stood to block their view. It was comical.

Something tells me that the Progressive insurance game booth will be further away from the massage girl booth next year.