Thread: Proposed Law
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #221
DoTheMath

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-194 View Post
Would'nt it be nice if we could teach COMMON SENSE. If everyone had common sense would we need any laws at all? I'am sorry but bone heads come in every size boat out there. But I would be more afraid of one going 100 mph than one going 25 mph. Can you tell me why anyone has to go that fast? I don't need a law to tell me not to drive drunk that is "COMMON SENSE" but hello lots of people drive drunk. So until everyone passes the common sense test i think we need some laws to help keep the bone heads in check. How can it hurt?
Sorry - but by "boneheads" - whom would you be referring to!? The guy in the 40' cruiser plowing along at 15 mph and letting up a HUGE wake resulting in all kinds of near-by vessel and / or shore-line damage!? (yep, see it all the time). Or the person out in the kayak or row boat at night, paddling along at 3 mph, with no lights thinking this is safe and ok!? Oh, wait - maybe you mean the woman driving the 23' bowrider leaving the channel and mashing the throttle forward when there are 2 or 3 other boats within 50' of her!? Yep, I have seen all of this stuff - live and in person - and it just blows my mind. I agree - common sense can't be taught, but I still don't see how a speed limit will cure anything, esp. a "problem" that doesn't exist! Last time I checked - the most recent "bone head" move on the lake with catastrophic results occurred at 28 mph!?!? Let's enforce the laws we have that will really make a difference - not institute new ones that will just tax the current system and fix nothing!