View Single Post
Old 09-25-2004, 07:51 PM   #105
LRSLA

Default respect is as respect does

I don't enjoy concerts, and I would be hard pressed to compare belching illegal boat exhaust to a Symphony.

The acceptance of noise is directly proportional to the perceived appropriateness of the noise event. SO noise at a race track is enjoyable because it is appropriate. Noise in your back yard might not be perceived as appropriate. This is what causes the impact and the stress caused by the event.

If my children want to attend a concert I might tell them to wear ear protection to protect their hearing. Once gain one expects high volume sound at a concert. People don't go to concerts to sleep or read books or talk on the phone.

As far as the impact on my health by noise. Please don't even assume to
pass judgement on this issue. Health impact caused by noise is so well documented that to suggest other wise is rediclulous. If I can acknowledge your enjoyment of your recreation whay can't your accept that it might be impacting my household.

I have nothing to do with Pep Boys, it is a publicly trade company if you own some stock and are not happy then sell your stock. Yes a family member was instrumental in building the company, so???

As for bikers on the streets, that can be some one else's battle.
I have spoken to individuals that are heavily impacted by biker noise.
Some towns are cracking down on this problem. There is one town on Long Island that set up road blocks this summer and every bike that came through had to be tested. As far as the issue it does replicate some of the issues we face on the lake.

One interesting part of the biker issue is that the noise does not carry as far.

As far as attacking you. I really don't think you can equate my requesting enforcement of on the books regulations with group sponsored harassment of an individual and his family.

I didn't come to your house at 2:00am and rev my engine at 90dB. I didn't drive by your house all day raking your shore line. I didn't call you late at night and tell you to leave town. I didn't flood your cell phone with bogus phone calls and disrupt you business activity. I didn't drag you through the mud online and level all sorts of personal attacks on a public online forum. I didn't call the Maine DEP on you and file false complaints.

All I did was start a safe boating and quiet lake association. Why because hundreds of residents supported wanted a voice. Why because I was driven to action because boats were operating illegally and brutally impacting my life. Why because I have spent twenty years on this lake and it is just in the last four that this noise issue have become a serious issue.

I will be very busy with work in the next week. I will not be able to post for another week.

I feel like I have to forward some words of wisdom.

The only thing that comes to mind is, If the actions of another begins to impact another, then that must be acknowledged. and the activity that is causing the impact must be mitigated.

The mitigation must be carried out , out of respect for others. There are at least 750 boats on our lake, 20 are causing the impact. I hope that we can come to a place were we can work on this issue together.
I am always open to communication. I always work very hard to be fair.
Sponsored Links