View Single Post
Old 10-09-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts
Default Friendly rocks for future generations

The kids closed camp today, third and fourth generation, and they sent pictures of the low water. Some of these rocks that they (grandchildren) haven't fully seen before, I recall playing on as a kid. Some were never fully exposed during my kid's lifetimes (they have many decades to go), but grandchildren will recognize them sometime in the future. (I hope the lake will fill up and it will be many years from now.)

"Through the channel and over the waves to Grandmother's camp we go..."

We're closed now, so no holiday meals at Grandma's camp, but camp is a stabilizing place in several families, including ours from Texas, MA and NH and our neighbors whose extended family comes to the island from Long Island, Baltimore and Hawaii as well as Maine. Both families have been on the island for over 60 years and share all sorts of family events.

For you young islanders, make plans now to keep the family camp in the family. There will be a time when you are too old, or have lost interest, and want to sell. Your kids can't afford it. Ten years after that, you'll all reminisce and the kids will say, "I wish we still had the camp because we could never afford to buy one now, and it was so great growing up on the island".
(Unsolicited advice from an old f*rt.)

Thanks for your understanding of my year end thoughts, and appreciation for past generations.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post: