View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 08:19 AM   #6
BoatHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDocIsIn View Post
I have no boating experience but want to learn. I have my NH safe boating certificate. I was thinking of renting something on winnisquam to start, maybe it's a less intimidating lake? I eventually want to end up with something on winnipesaukee but I'm a little nervous after hearing crazy stories about boating on this lake and the fact that I have no experience.

Any suggestions for this newbie?
I am sure there are many ways to approach this, but your plan to start small is a good one.

What worked for me -
Having grown up vacationing on Lake Winnipesaukee and spending time at my uncles hotel on the Broads in my teens/twenty's, I had some familiarity with the lake. He was one of those guys that trolled in his formula so he knew the run from Paugaus Bay to the Broads like the back of his hand day or night. Can't pick your family..., but it gave me exposure to night cruising using shore lights and buoys.

About 7 years ago, we started taking our family to the lake for a couple of long weekends each year. We would rent a boat for the weekend in the general area we were staying(Weirs beach, Meredith, Wolfeboro,..).

Best approach is to start off in a small area and expand to new areas as you get familiar with landmarks and navigation. It is very easy to get confused in some areas, but if you take it slow and triple check the map(Bizer maps are great), you will be able to expand to most areas as you get comfortable with the lake and the boat.

Before 10am and after 4pm on Summer days are the best time to go explore as the boat traffic is lightest and water is typically calmer.

3 years ago, we bought a home in Wolfeboro. For whatever reason, I had never been to the Wolfeboro end of the lake. Man was I missing a great part of the lake. Anyway, the first year we rented for 10 weekends from Goodhue and Hawkins(great place to rent from) and started exploring that area expanding where we went every weekend depending on what the family wanted to do and the weather. Since I was familiar with the other side of the lake, I made a few trips to Weirs, Meredith, Center harbor, Long Island... The following year, we purchased a boat and kept exploring different areas with each trip.

This year, my plan is to get to know the Moultonboro Bay area when I have time to explore.

-Start small and expand when comfortable
-Study the Map and explore when water is calmest and traffic is light
-Pay close attention to the weather forecast
-Watch out for knuckleheads that do not obey boating rule(speed, Right of way, drinking too much,...). They are out there almost every day of the season

your plan to go to Winnisquam may not be a bad one, but don't be afraid to get out on Winnipesaukee. You do not have to criss cross the entire lake to have a great time!
BoatHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BoatHouse For This Useful Post: