View Single Post
Old 10-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #14
iw8surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
I’m sorry to say, but I have to agree with Dhaama.
We lived in Hanson Cove in the late 1950s to the early 1960s. We got our water from the lake. Yes, we actually could drink the water from the lake it was that clean.

In 1963 my parents build their retirement home in the Kona area in Moultonborough.
We swim in front of the house in a beautiful sandy beach. You could swim out and see the bottom in 20 feet deep water. At night the shoreline was covered in crawfish. Our dog used to go crazy when he saw them.

My dad owned a lot of land back then, which he sold over many years.
I used to love to swim back-and-forth, from a beach that he had to his house just a quarter mile or so. The last time I made that swim was in 1985 when I was pregnant with my last child. What was once a pristine haven now turned into a nightmare. There were so many weeds that I came upon when I was swimming that I thought that they would drown me for sure. Weeds are growing everywhere now , there used to be just a few areas with lily pads for people to go fishing.
Now,You step down and you sink into 6 inches of mush where there was sand.

I too feel that I have checked out. My father loved Lake Winnepesaukee more than anyone could ever imagine. He put restrictions on his property, so that no one would infringe on anyone else’s enjoyment.

I was walking back in 2014 after my mother died, a loop that I had done many times. I couldn’t believe I saw a man holding round up and spray it all over his weeds by the road. I just looked in shock. I finally said, that my dad used to own all this property And I’m glad that he didn’t live long enough to see what everyone has done to this beautiful lake.
Sorry, I could go on and on. It will never be the same!

Curious, what did you seriously expect? Nothing to ever change?
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote