View Single Post
Old 06-01-2017, 06:54 AM   #37
Meredith_Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbreeze View Post
I think the larger issue is with the overall runoff from land surrounding the lakes and aquifers that feed the lake by folks who insist on having lush green lawns up to the lakes edge and from homeowners who strip the shoreline and wooded areas of the trees and understory vegetation that would be a natural lake filter.
More stringent cultural polices should be in force to eliminate the use of certain fertilizers, weed control, septic and soil erosion etc. and to eliminate resident geese populations as much as possible.
Humans create the environments that these invasive plants and animals thrive in. Then we react and respond with chemicals to control or to eliminate them.
I for one am in favor of the treatments because I know the results of milfoil if left untreated would be catastrophic to the lake ecosystems.

So if you are opposed to the treatment, the next time you cut your treated lawn or are ripping out the natural blueberry bushes and vegetative understory growth because you think it looks poor, think about the role you are playing in the demise of the ecosystem.
I would love to have natural blueberry bushes!

Sent from my LGUS997 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app