View Single Post
Old 12-20-2014, 04:30 PM   #12
rgilfert

McDude, that's exactly the same process that I followed (I assume that you had your pieced together maps "dry mounted") except that my frame wasn't very light because I made it myself out of oak. Given that each map covers a 30' x 60' area ..... the resultant map consolidation is huge but will be perfect for my purposes.
I bought a cheap iPad application (Spyglass) that superimposes a compass rose in the camera viewing window. Given the fact that from our cottage Mt Shaw is dead north of us I will be able to sight the compass in on the peak that I want to identify and determine the exact number of degrees that it is east or west of true north. Then going to my map with a protractor I'll be able to plot an accurate line (using dry erase markers) and see which peak it passes over. Ultimately I want to take a panoramic photograph of our view and then use our photo editing software to annotate all of the peaks with text. The bummer is ..... I can't start the next step of this project until ice-out!!
I realize that this may be a tad "over the top" .... but I'm retired and having a ball doing it. I just wish that I didn't have to wait until April toi make more progress!
Attached Images

Last edited by rgilfert; 12-20-2014 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Add photo
rgilfert is offline   Reply With Quote