View Single Post
Old 10-06-2016, 07:53 AM   #40
bigdog

Default Garden Tractor does not start ?

Well..... I have the final report regarding my tractor issue not starting.
Took me a while and a little thinking but finally got to the bottom of this !

Four letters, one word "M-I-C-E" !

I removed the top cowling that covers the entire engine. Not only did I find a lot of mouse remnants of cloth material (probably from building nests),
but also found two severed electrical wires, which were disconnected from what I think may be a coil ?

One of the spark plugs wires that come off the plug, connects to coil, then has two 14 gauge wires that connect to someplace in engine, exactly where I could not see where it led ? Is this a coil, because it looked like it was wrapped with cooper wire.

Also, I removed long piece of cloth material from what looked like a gear, that I suspect is tied to the starter assembly. This long piece of material
(actually looked like a 4" piece of rope) was wrapped around the gear, preventing it from rotating. I noticed when I attempted to start the engine that gear would spin, I suspect it turns something within the engine ? What is this gear, and is my description correct?

Anyway, removed all cloth fiber mouse remnants, patched the 2 broken wires together. Long story, engine started immediately !

Lessons learned, think simple !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote