View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #1069
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Let's forget about any percieved bias or editorializing by the officer.

Fact 1: She was driving significantly over the speed limit. She doesn't seem to be disputing this and it appears there are enough witnesses if needed.

Fact 2: While speeding, she was using her phone. A fact I'm sure can be verified through phone records, and one validated by her comments after being pulled over (unless you want to accuse the officer of outright fabrication)

Given the circumstances of the day before and her situation, even after you discount any believed bias or inappropriate reporting by the officer, her actions are one thing... STUPID!

The officer wouldn't have had a report to write if she didn't give him the opportunity.

I was under the impression she was charged with going 19 MPH over the speed limit. I think that's considered a moving violation. I've been given friendly verbal warnings for worse speed violations. IMO, it's not a big deal; the state does not seem to think so either, as far as I know, they only require the payment of a fine, no court appearance. It's basicaly a radar tax.

I was also under the impression that using a mobile phone while driving was not illegal in NH. Might be dumb, but it's probably not illegal.

If the officer wished to charge her with "distracted driving" (assuming that's a crime in NH), I'd think he'd have good reason to paint her in the worst possible light in his report.

I agree that if she did indeed do the things the police officer reported, she was acting very stupidly, especially considering she was out on bail.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post: