View Single Post
Old 10-25-2017, 04:04 PM   #1
Newbiesaukee

Default Change Mailing Address: Boat

I am certain there is an obvious answer but it eludes me:

I keep my boat in NH where it has been registered for 14 years. We live in Miami which is the mailing and legal address that NH has and the boat registration renewal is mailed to the Florida address.

We downsized in Florida last year and moved. I wanted to change the mailing/ permanent address so NH would mail my registration renewal to the right place in Florida ( it will not be forwarded from my old Miami address---long story)

I went to the NH DMV website which covers boat registration and could not find how to change the address. There was a form, but more on that in a moment.

I called NH DMV and was told about the form but recommended I take it to my town clerk because "It will be faster and they know what to do and they will help you." This seemed a variant of "We're from the government and we are here to help."

I called Moultonborough and was told the Town Clerk would be able to do it.

This morning I brought my stuff to Moultonborough and was told that they could not do it but they would give me a form. No help there and they did not seem willing to help.

I got home looked at the form they gave me which I assumed is the same form online (it is).

Here is the problem. The form is a record change request which covers all of the DMV functions including boat registration. The form asks for my driver's license number and other than my birthdate and name there is no other identifying feature. My drivers license is from Florida. They do ask about what will be my new address but no place to put my old address.

Question is: How do they know it is me? No ID except a driver's license which is from Florida. Do I put this on the form?

How do I change the mailing/permanent address for my boat registration? Oh, and the form says may take 60 days which makes the timing tight, which is why, they said, I should go to Moultonborough.

If all else fails, I guess I could do this in person in the spring but it should not be this difficult.

If anyone is still reading...I would appreciate some help.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote