View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 03:36 PM   #12
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
As far as the occupancy permit is concerned I doubt any building inspector would throw you out of your house as long as you had a functioning septic, running water, bathroom and were only using it on weekends. I've seen some camps around the lakes that are a lot worse and have been used that way for ever.
Whether the building inspector throws you out or not - legally speaking he or she could. Here is what the COO form states from the town of Meredith

No person shall use or permit the use of any building, structure, or premises, or parts thereof, herby erected, relocated, altered, converted or extended until a Certificate of Occupancy has been issued by the Building Inspector.

I don't think the intended purpose is in any way ambiguous.

From a traditional home mortgage and insurance standpoint, closing a mortgage on a house that is not issued a COO is not going to happen, I have been held up for this very reason. Insurance policies are written differently before and after considering before as it is assumed the house being under construction does not meet applicable codes therefore the liability and risk factors are far different.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote