View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #177
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF-NH View Post
Based on the pictures and great report....it seems "marginally safe" to launch from Sheps as of yesterday (is that accurate)? I am hoping to launch my 1875 Lund on Friday morning. Please provide any updates if anyone else is in the area today or tomorrow.

Of course if ice blows in from the south....it could lock everything up quickly with drifting ice. I'm hoping winds from the north will blow ice out toward Cattle Landing.
Yes that's accurate....hard to predict exactly what you'll find I was lucky yesterday in that there wasn't much in the way of wind so coming back after being out on the island all day conditions didn't really change from an ice flow perspective a whole lot so the return trip was easy enough but I will admit I was prepared to be marooned for a few days if need be.

If I were you I'd say go for it even if there is some ice out there it's disappearing fast. If you find the need to push through any ice pick your path carefully and creep through it. I had no problem going as fast as my outboard idles in gear occasionally using my paddle to push a solid piece out of the way. I do agree wind from the SE could be a far bigger problem than from the NW.

Good luck and I hope you get out there.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote