View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #52
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Unhappy Love My 95 Ford Explorer

I just retired my 95 Ford Explorer with 348,000 miles on it, was shooting for 500,000. They were basically all Highway miles back and forth to MA. It was averaging 23 mpg @ 70mph. Every thing in it was still functional. What made me retire it was a catastrophic failure of the transmission. The estimate to repair it was around $1800. My wife decided it was time to move up to a newer vehicle. Reluctantly I did. We found what appeared to be a very "CLEAN" looking 2003 Explorer at a local FORD dealership. We took a test ride, went home, talked it over and called our Credit Union on financing. We went back two days later and purchased it.

I have had the vehicle now for some six weeks. So far in that period of time we have had to replace a front wheel bearing and Hub, two Lower Ball Joints(should have been caught when State Inspection was done) and a complete re-build of the Rear End (Ring and Pinion). I think with the cost of these repairs I could have fixed the trany in my "95" and still be heading to the 500,000 mark.

Every thing is running well now the "2003" now but I am just waiting for some thing else to go wrong.

Oh one other problem is the no one recognizes me any more as the cars are of totally different colors.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote