View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 11:02 AM   #22
CanisLupusArctos

For the most part I agree with that. No rain is in the forecast for the next several days, which will help keep melting to a trickle for at least the first part of the week as temps stay pretty cool.

I am getting gradually more concerned about Thursday-Friday. What started off as a 60-degree forecast for Thursday is now showing a warming trend with each update, and now looks like upper 60s/near 70 for both days. As I mentioned earlier, the season's first 80-degree day often starts off as a much cooler forecast because we're usually unwilling to commit to such a forecast until the day before. Therefore, I would not be surprised if Thursday and Friday ended up being 75-80 both days with a couple of places reaching low 80s. HOWEVER... I am not committing to that forecast. Only saying it's possible based on the trend I'm starting to see, and what it often means at this time of year. Keep watching the Thurs-Fri forecast to see if it works out that way.

Much of the snow to the south of the lake has now melted so we're in good shape there... at least from floodwaters originating locally. If Thursday-Friday do end up having our first taste of summer (which is not unusual for mid/late April) it would be runoff from the mountains we'd have to deal with, and would be a matter of predicting how far downstream the "bulge" would go before the riverbed was wide/deep enough to swallow it. For that, we would turn to a different breed of scientists, the hydrologists. They've been doing a lot of number-crunching since this flood threat became apparent in late February.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote