View Single Post
Old 04-01-2020, 10:57 AM   #10
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
I completely agree with you. There are a number of questions to be raised: for one, is it possible to table a warrant article? Not sure if this is possible. This whole recreation center topic has torn the town apart over the years. The ones pushing so hard for it are not the ones who will bear the brunt of the costs to build and maintain an expensive facility.Their attitude has been to stick it to the waterfront residents and non-resident, non-voting property owners. Never mind that the school population has dwindled from over 700 to approximately 480 over the years. I guess it remains to be seen how reasonable people will be regarding essential vs. non-essential expenditures, given the current pandemic and economic uncertainties. Stay tuned.
I'm not by any means an expert on this stuff but I did do a little quick reading in regards to warrant articles and one thing that is not clearly defined is whether or not there is a specific time frame which a vote needs to be had. In other words can or could the town theoretically "continue" it as they see fit, leave it on the agenda. I find it hard to believe there are not ways to "tie up" or delay these if there is a desire to do so.

They make this stuff so overly cumbersome, ambiguous and needlessly complicated it's a wonder anything gets done. That said this is not unprecedented Hooksett postponed the last planning board public hearing due to this virus.

Think the town would be facing a lawsuit if they tried to have a public meeting in today's environment where many would not show up or have something online where there is no guarantee that everyone who wanted to attend, speak up or vote has the technology available to do so.