View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 07:14 AM   #20
baastan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOXIE View Post
First off I do not have a dog in this fight. I do not know the owner, or the marina that winterized this boat. No where is any history of the motor mentioned. How old?? How many hrs?? Salt water use??
The owner says the motor ran well. It may have appeared to run well, but compared to what?? As a motor gets tired, it may still run smooth, but as it aged its hard to notice a power decrease.
If you look close at all 4 cyl, the top of the gasket has a noticeable carbon ring evenly around all cyl except where #4 and #6 meet the lower water jacket. I think there was a compression leak between 4&6. I also think the heat from this compression leak compromised the head gasket at the water jacket. The compression leak between #4 and #6 is not uncommon in motors that are run wide open when bone cold. The head heats up at a different rate than the block, and this can cause premature failure of the head gasket.
Now I am going to stick my neck out, and give my opinion.
If I were sitting on the jury, I would say this motor had issues before it was winterized.
Peace My Friends, MOXIE
Drops Mic
baastan is offline   Reply With Quote