View Single Post
Old 08-05-2017, 11:53 AM   #34
donmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
My mistake it was the 16' R-160 we test drove not the 18' and the max HP was 90. It was a dog and couldn't get out of its own way. We ended up buying an 18' just not a Robalo and funny the max horsepower on her new 18' Bayliner is 90 and it has no issue at all getting up and out of the water with a max speed of about 40 mph. While the Bayliner is lacking some of the quality and bling of the Robalo, It's no secret that Robalos are one of the heaviest boats out there and understandable that an 18' would need a 150 to get it to perform... their 16' could use a 150 also!

Dan
The Robalo's are known for being heavy and slow, but on the plus side is that they provide a smooth ride - at least with the larger hulls. I spend a lot of time on Chesapeake Bay so, I was willing to consider trading speed for comfort. Never did any research on the smaller hulls - but, I totally agree, not being able to plane fitted with max HP is totally unacceptable.