View Single Post
Old 09-16-2016, 10:37 PM   #7
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Any other thoughts ?
Gently taping on the solenoid switch while simultaneously trying to start the tractor with the ignition key is probably your next best thing to try.

Tapping on the ignition coil will do nothing. And more than likely your problem has nothing to do with the stator with regards to getting it started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
When I turn the ignition, I hear a click but that's all ! Repeated attempts have proved the same results.
If you are getting a clicking sound, that is (kinda good) meaning the electrical circuits up to the solenoid is probably functioning properly.

If I had to "guess" without knowing exactly what your tractor has for an engine or its history I would say your battery is to weak to operate the solenoid switch or the solenoid switch is defective. Sounds to me that you are not getting the heavy duty high current (for lack of a better term) from the battery to the starter itself.

There is a way to by-pass the solenoid switch, (for poor mans testing purposes) with good jumper cables or a screwdriver but you have to have a very keen understanding of just what is going to happen when you do something like this.

The link is for a generic google search for "solenoid switch" note the images, you would be looking for something that looks like one of the photos.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...enoid%20switch

Try tapping the solenoid switch (if you can locate it) and turning (and holding) the key in the start position all at the same time. You might need an extra person to help you if the solenoid switch is in an awkward location and prevents you from sitting on the tractor properly to engage the safety features / push on the pedals.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote