View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 05:11 PM   #70
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Please, everyone....let’s all take a deep breath and lighten up. If I had to guess, one of the comments that got people going is the one about the sign at the NH border. This is my interpretation, made as a non native who has owned property here for over 40 years: the natives resent outsiders coming into NH because they love its beauty and simplicity, and then trying to make their town into a replica of the one they left in MA, RI, CT, or wherever. I don’t blame the locals for resenting many of the attempts to change what already works. Not everyone wants sidewalks, street lights, traffic lights and macadam everywhere.
I don't doubt that happens but I doubt it happens that often. I'm also a non-native and owned for 35 years in NH and now work in NH and might retire in NH. The last thing I want is side walks and street lights.

In fact, the private road I was on, neighbors (some native) wanted it paved because because it would wash out often and my house abutted it and it was a right of way over my property. I bought a tractor and kept that gravel road in shape for nearly 20 years on my own dime. I felt like if it was paved it was a step closer to like my home in MA. We didn't allow a TV at the lake either. We figured why bother to come to lake and just watch TV. I was attracted to NH because it was different from my home in MA and last thing I wanted was to make it more the same. I suspect a lot of non Natives think that way. But sure many want the city creature comforts too.

Look at Squam lake, I think of it as a lot of left leaning liberals (protectionists). Speed limits on the lake etc. It was almost too left leaning for my taste. But they push hard to preserve things with lots of rules.

I personally do like a quant downtown area, like Wolfborough is a nice balance in my opinion. I like Meredith down near the town docks too. But I love isolated untouched areas too, like around lots of Squam and many parts of Winni. It's hard to strike a good balance. Laconia is way to commercial and no different than say a Worcester MA type town. But it's been that way before my time. But that sort of thing is hard to stop.

It's ok for us to take some trees down to build a lake house (or buy a house where all trees once stood) but we don't want the two neighboring lots to be built on. Right?

We want everything to freeze once WE arrive (arrive could be interpreted as born their or moved their).

I suspect most of us all want the same thing. You have to be realistic that there needs to be a balance. Putting up signs to "Keep out" won't solve anything. And like was discussed in some other threads, some "progress" is good. Like many parts of the lakes are cleaner than they were 30 years ago. Even with lots of build up over the past few decades.
The Following User Says Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post: