Thread: Kayak fees
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 10:09 AM   #18
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Lots of good points implied here. If you follow the reasoning, the conclusion would be to increase the fees on boats that currently require registration (this would include my own boat). First, these larger boats have a much bigger "footprint", so owners are bigger users of the lake and associated services. Second, it costs the state nothing to increase the price of a license it already sells.

Also, with respect to fees, the lake is unusual compared to similar resources such as state parks. To walk up Monandnock, just for example, I need to pay $10(?). But I can launch a boat, which has a much bigger impact in every way, for free.
You don't launch your boat for free... most of the boat ramps are town owned/supported by town taxpayers and are usually only for town taxpayers. The State Ramps are supported & maintained by your boat registration fees and are open to everyone.

I am not a fan of an income tax. I am very ok with the "user Fee" mentality of NH... if you want to use the resource, you can pay to help maintain it. I have long thought Canoes/kayaks/sailboats should pay something... I don't think a $10/yr user fee is going to break anyones bank.

Also, someone mentioned the "Hike Safe" card... there should be one for the human/wind powered watercraft crowd as well!

Woodsy