Thread: Bear Island
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2018, 05:40 PM   #77
Oblio13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
According to the Society's web site they have a 152 acre reservation known as "The Bear Island Forest" which also according to their web site is completely open to the public. From their site...

"The Forest Society owns over 160 reservations, located on over 50,000 acres spread across New Hampshire – and we want you to come explore it! All of our properties are open to the public, yet several offer a more complete recreational experience by having designated parking, kiosks, trails, and events. We've highlighted some of these reservations in our Guide to Our Lands area of the site. We hope you visit these gems and share your experiences with us."

I'm curious why Bear Islander stated the entire island is privately owned and only owners and guests can visit??

Dan
I'm the Forest Society's Land Steward for Bear Island, perhaps I can help clarify.

All of the Society's reservations are open to the public. However, some - like this one - are difficult to access.

The town of Meredith owns a lot that abuts the Forest Society land, but there is no dock there.

There is a narrow right-of-way by the church's docks, but the docks themselves are owned by the church.
Oblio13 is offline   Reply With Quote