View Single Post
Old 07-23-2016, 06:35 AM   #13
TCC

What a fascinating thread! Thanks to mcdude for posting it!

I have to admit to being a little conflicted about the WMUR piece. As with much of what comes from that source, the article is more "crafted" than factual, with many of it's "facts" resting on semantics. I only say this as one who grew up in, on, and beside the waters of Lake Huron.

J. W. Prescott been providing mail service to ships on the Great Lakes continuously since 1874; according to the referenced article that's 12 years prior to the start of the Winnipesaukee service. Watching the mail boat bobbing along beside those massive lake freighters is one of my cherished childhood memories. Today the 45-foot J. W. Prescott II is reportedly the only floating post office with its own ZIP code (48222).

Then again, much depends on what one calls a "post office". Certainly there are currently any number of contractor carriers who deliver mail by boat but the article seems to imply that the Sophie C. provides a much wider array of post office services than just delivery.

Regardless, this thread has provided a captivating look into the rich history of the Lakes Region and I look forward to learning still more.
TCC is offline   Reply With Quote