Thread: E-ZPass
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #41
ghfromaltonbay

Default NY Thruway EZ Pass

Way before NJ started using EZ Pass on the Garden State Parkway & NJ Turnpike, I signed up for EZ Pass thru the NY Thruway system for travel over the Tappan Zee Bridge and also for trips to Long Island. I get a discount on most NY toll roads. I was glad to see that the Mass Pike also accepted EZ Pass years ago, so the only tolls I had to stop and pay on my 300 mile trip to NH were in Bedford & Hooksett on the Everett. NH finally joined the modern age and now I'm happy to see the Hooksett toll is being retrofitted for high speed toll lanes as well. They are great here on the NJ toll roads, you can maintain the posted speed limit while passing thru. The NY system also provides free monthly emails with access to your account online, and I check it each month. No billing problems in all the years I've had the EZ Pass. About every 5 or 6 years I get a new transponder mailed to me and I send back the "retired" one in a prepaid return mailer sent with the new unit. For those like my parents who don't have email, a bi-monthly statement is available by snail mail, but this costs a $1 service fee. Every time I come home from NH and see the long lines waiting to pay the cash toll at the Sturbridge exit on the Mass Pike I'm really glad I have EZ Pass. I hear that exit is a real nightmare on weekends.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote